Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What comes to Mind?

They say that our senses such as sight, smell, touch and taste can evoke memories of our past. For example, what do you think of when you smell apple pie? Breathe in deeply and smell the cinnamon, nutmeg and Granny Smith apples. What feeling or memory does it conjure for you? When I think of homemade apple pie, I am immediately transported back to my childhood when my grandmother made them for me. So, I would have to say the smell of apple pie brings to me a comforting feeling; spending time with my grandmother and eating those delicious pies!


While the apple pie aroma reminded me of my grandmother, some might get the impression of a mother baking for her family or perhaps a friendly neighbor offering a pie to new neighbors. Any one of these thoughts that come to mind when we think of “apple pie.” There is also the automatic association as “American as Apple Pie.” I believe it is safe to say that all of these images provide the following thoughts of comfort, friendliness of a neighbor, family and security.


While I was writing “The Pond,” I decided to use this train of thought in the beginning of my book. The comfort of a childhood home, a friendly neighbor baking a pie to welcome a family to the neighborhood. I wanted to evoke an image that would make the reader automatically associate a definite perception of one of the characters. The idea would be to gravitate that character from a comforting and pleasant image to a dark personality.

A person who bakes a pie couldn't possibly have a hidden, dark personality yet to be seen; could they?


Get a copy of my book, “The Pond” (now out on Kindle! $2.99) and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment