Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Subliminal events that evoke feelings of "Hometown"


Summers always remind me of celebrations and gatherings especially when I was a kid. The frequency just seemed to naturally come in quick succession. There’s Mayday, the last day of school, summer camp, Fourth of July, country fairs and family vacations. All of these events make me think of warm weather and good times.

As I was writing “The Pond,” I wanted to build upon the idea of creating an ambiance that spoke to the memories of home that we all share. After all, if readers can’t relate to the subject of your story, then the story will be spoken but never heard. One of those memories for me was going to the fair each year. The whiff of cotton candy and candied apples while walking well-worn paths to the Ferris wheel and other rides all come flooding back to me. I am betting that you recall the same general memories too. Those types of memories are what help to shape a story like “The Pond.”

I’ll be writing more posts about “relate-able” events and memories because I think they are an important part in telling a story that has plotlines and situations that are horrifying. Most people don’t experience some of the events that Michael Adams and his family did in their new home. Tying the common thread among us helps to bring the reader along for the ride and experience a roller coaster of emotions.


Pick up a copy of my book, “The Pond,” now on sale at Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. Also available on Kindle.

The roller coaster is ready and waiting for you.

"The Pond" is Available in Paperback for $16.95 and can be purchased here

"The Pond" is also available in Kindle Format for $2.99 and be purchased here. Did you know that you can give kindle formatted books as a gift? You can send as a gift to anyone that has an email address.

Do not have a kindle yet? You can download kindle to be used on your PC for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment